
At age 30 I'm still searching within myself. What exactly do I want to do with my life? Do I still want to teach young children? A job that I find more relaxing and fun due to its nature of dealing with the young and innocent. In fact, it's a very suitable job in the eyes of husbands, Malaysian malay, muslim husbands in my case. So sweeeet... Or should I move on to lectures and seminars in big dreary university lecture halls and rooms? ( You see, I'm not crazy about titles and status. The way I see it, any extra tertiary academic qualification is for my self satisfaction). Becoming a distinguish professor is, in fact, the kind of job my parents wish (still wishing and hoping) that I would do so that they could boast to their friends and relatives on what a successful daughter they have. How about becoming a writer? Well, in school and at the uni I was never really good at writing. I remember a so called Ms. Thompson trying to find appropriate words to tell me that my writing assignment lacked some errr... academic criteria. Moreover, I even had difficulties trying to make my thesis supervisor see my point of view in my Masters Degree academic exercise.
Anyway, all these confusions come from one source: my desperation to please everybody (my family, especially) and including myself as well as trying to do what is usually expected and accepted in the society. I'm affected by these expectations and beliefs; there is like an unwritten rule that furthering your education equals to getting a highly paid, high status job posts. People would simply laugh or sneer at you if you mention that you chose to further your studies just to educate yourself or for self-fulfilment, NOT to make big money or achieve high status and to feel that you are above others....
No comments:
Post a Comment